CG Schmidt believes that we are not just a construction company – we are THE construction company to work for. If you pride yourself on being the best at what you do, we’d like to hear from you!
Please fill out the following application and submit with a cover letter and resume to Employment@cgschmidt.com. Please check the site frequently as positions will be posted as they become available. Open positions are also listed on the Employment Hotline which can be accessed by calling 414.577.1179.
We are only accepting applications for the current open positions below:
The Project Engineer reports to the Project Manager and/or Superintendent and assists in the management of projects, with emphasis on cost control, scheduling, expediting and other related field/office tasks. The Project Engineer may work in the office, trailer and/or field, with a balance to both understanding the paperwork side of the project management and being exposed to the entire construction project through frequent observation of the building process.
- Assists Project Manager in the management of construction projects, which involves cost control, expediting, quantity take-off, scheduling and safety.
- Learns and observes all construction activities while assisting Superintendent to ensure successful project completion.
- Identifies and informs the Project Manager of potential scheduling, subcontractor, and cost risks and prepares recommended solutions.
- Demonstrates understanding of the principles of project management, which involves cash flow, client relations, early recognition of project problems, pricing/profit planning and control.
- Incorporates the Company’s mission, policies and beliefs into daily performance and decision-making.
- Correct and consistent use of all Company methods and procedures for field construction.
- Continuous improvement in knowledge of construction schedule, sequence, coordination and methods.
- Appraises overall project (global view) to improve process and productivity.
- Develops understanding of Terms/Conditions of construction contracts to assist Project Manager to remain in compliance.
- Actively seeks development opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Is active in the community as necessary to develop relationships and assist in the identification of potential project opportunities.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to operate in changing environments (job trailer, corporate office, etc.)
- Frequent movement throughout office/field required. Prolonged sitting typical.
- When assigned to job site, exposure to uneven terrain, inconsistent temperatures and other safety concerns will be present.
Mental Performing Elements:
- Organizing and coordinating schedules
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Communicating effectively verbally and through written communication with internal staff and the public
- Multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
Position Background Requirements:
Bachelors Degree in Engineering or Construction Management or related curriculum from an accredited university or 3+ years experience in a construction leadership role or combination of the two required. Knowledge of construction field operations and the disciplines required to construct a project and demonstrated leadership ability necessary. Cooperativeness, ability to work in a team and a constructive, respectful attitude required.
Position available in Milwaukee and Madison.
Plans, organizes and controls all resources (people and materials) for the successful execution of construction projects. Leads teams in the construction of projects ensuring project quality, schedule, cost control, safety and customer satisfaction objectives are met. Is the primary point of contact for owners.
- Assigned projects are completed on time, under budget and at a profit for CG Schmidt
- Safety, EEO and quality goals are achieved
- Timely conflict and/or claims resolution
- Clients are satisfied with project results
- Sets safety, quality, schedule, cost and owner relationship goals
- Provides input and supervises all pre-construction services such as purchase orders, subcontracts, schedules, job cost set-up and project pre-planning
- Works with the Operations Manager or Division GM to obtain the personnel resources required to properly staff the project
- Reviews project proposal or plans to determine time frame, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of the project
- Manages the financial aspects of contracts; assures job margin analysis is completed on a regular basis
- Develops baseline project schedule with assistance from Superintendent and/or Scheduler
- Monitors and reports project cost and schedule performance; recommends corrective actions if needed
- Assists Superintendent with problem or conflict resolution; assist in driving subcontractors or work force
- Reviews change orders for accuracy
- Reviews and takes action on contractor pay requests and invoicing
- Reviews status reports prepared by project personnel and modifies schedules or plans as required; prepares project reports for CG Schmidt management, owner or others
- Manages the scope of work and has mastery of the contract documents
- Manages claims; identifies and resolves potential claims with subcontractors/suppliers
- Participates in project coordination meetings
- Assists estimators with the definition of bid packages
- Ensures adherence to insurance, safety, labor relations, EEO and tax regulations
- Monitors and ensures quality control
- Works with Safety Director to ensure jobs have safe working conditions and that safe work practices are in place
- Supports the achievement of EEO goals
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with key owners and architects
- Fosters team camaraderie; mentors Superintendents and Project Engineers; assures each person understands their role on the project
- Documents best practices to share with other projects; ensure best construction methods are being used
- Directs and ensures timely completion of project close-out activities
- Protects and promotes the interests of the Company; ensures all compensation for work performed is received
- Champions skill development of assigned resources through training and performance appraisals
- Communicates and reinforces the CG Schmidt vision, values and goals to division staff
- Performs additional assignments per supervisors direction
Essential skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or related field
- Five years of managerial and supervisory experience in the construction industry
- Extensive knowledge of construction methods and materials, costing, scheduling and estimating
- Demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others
- Ability to think ahead and plan over a one-to two-year time span
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
- Problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level
- Strong customer orientation
- Good computer skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong team player
- Commitment to company values
Reporting to this position: Superintendent, Project Engineer, Project Administrative Support