History

Our long history of leadership and innovation began in 1907 when 19-year-old Charles Schmidt left his home in Rosendaal, Holland to come to the United States. Charles began his career in Milwaukee as a maintenance worker for a local brewery.

In 1920, he set out on his own and launched Charles Schmidt & Sons Construction. In 1929, Charles’ son, Charles G. Schmidt, inherited the company and expanded the business through diversification.

Now a fifth-generation firm, CG Schmidt is led by fourth-generation President and CEO, Richard L. (Rick) Schmidt, Jr.
CG Schmidt has shown dramatic growth and consistently ranks among the largest Construction Managers in the country by Engineering News Record. By revenue, CG Schmidt is currently ranked as one of the largest Milwaukee-area contractors by the Milwaukee Business Journal.

  • Charles Schmidt launches Charles Schmidt & Sons

  • CG Schmidt Incorporates

  • CG Schmidt Establishes First Corporate Office

  • First Hospital Project – Waukesha Memorial Hospital

  • Riverview Residential Apartments – 1st Tower Crane Used in Milwaukee

  • CG Schmidt Constructs the Milwaukee Art Museum – Calatrava Addition

  • CG Schmidt Opens a Permanent Office in Madison, WI

  • CG Schmidt Conducts the Longest Continuous Concrete Pour in Wisconsin History – 27 Hours

  • CG Schmidt Named One of the “Top Place to Work” 9 Years Running