With design-build, one company provides both design and construction services. There is a single point of accountability for all project related issues. The design-builder may provide design and construction services using in-house resources or may subcontract for these services through third party providers.
- Single source responsibility simplifies the process for the owner.
- A collaborative approach to design and construction yields a higher value finished product.
- Design and construction activities can be overlapped to accelerate project delivery.
- Firm costs are established early in the process, typically before construction documents are started.
- Single source accountability minimizes risk to the owner and reduces potential for cost escalation as the project proceeds.
- Owners may lack sufficient knowledge about design and construction issues to effectively establish project program requirements and performance expectations.
- Clearly communicating the project scope of work prior to design is sometimes difficult
- A disreputable design-builder may sacrifice quality in favor of cost.